Teaching is considered to be a very noble profession. If you like interacting with students and have a passion for teaching then you can choose this as your career. It is a very challenging, enriching and satisfying experience. Career advancement is limited by your own performance and potential. There are plenty of job opportunities in the teaching field starting from pre-schools to colleges.
Montessori training institutes train teachers for pre-school education. Diploma in Education (D.Ed) and Teacher Training Certificate (TTC) are other courses that can help you get a teaching job at the primary school level. Physical Education teachers need to obtain a certificate/ degree or diploma from one of the recognized sports institutions across the country.
For high school teaching positions a Bachelor's degree in Education (B.Ed) is essential. A graduation in any discipline is the basic eligibility criteria for the B.Ed course. One can do a Masters in Education (M.Ed) later, to add to qualifications.
For college teaching specialization in a particular field will be essential. Many colleges insist on a Master’s degree.The National Eligibility Test (NET) is the national level entrance examination in India for postgraduate candidates who wish to qualify for admission in PhD research and/or university level teaching jobs in India. For the humanities and art discipline it is administered by the University Grants Commission (referred to as "UGC NET"), while for the science and engineering discipline it is jointly conducted by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and University Grants Commission ("CSIR-UGC" NET).
Teachers can look for Employment Opportunities with:
- Nursery schools
- Primary schools
- Secondary schools
- Corporate Training
- Schools catering to children with special needs
- Self employment – private tuition or tutorials
Teacher Training Institutions
- Christ University (B.Ed, M.A, M.Phil and Ph.D), Bengaluru
- M.S.Ramaiah College of Education (B.Ed), Bengaluru
- R.V. Teachers College (D.Ed), Bengaluru
- Vijaya Teachers College (B.Ed, M.Ed), Bengaluru
- New Horizon College of Education (B.Ed), Bengaluru
- MES Teachers College (B.Ed, M.Ed - Distance), Bengaluru
- BES College of Education, Bengaluru
- Oxford College of Education, Bengaluru
- Acharya Institute (D.Ed, B.Ed), Bengaluru
- JSS Institute of Education, Bengaluru
- University of Mysore (M.Ed Programme)
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Mysore
- Karnatak University, Dharwad (M.Ed Programme)
- St. Ann’s College of Education, Mangalore
- Loyola College of Education, Chennai
- National Institute of Technical Teachers' Training and Research, Chennai
- S.N.D.T Women’s University, Mumbai (B.Ed and M.Ed in Special Education)
- Amity University (Diploma and Bachelor in Elementary Education), Noida