Globalization has contributed to significant growth in the Tourism and Hospitality industry. A course in Hotel Management
equips students with skills, knowledge and attitude to efficiently discharge supervisory responsibilities in the Hospitality sector. Industry interface and internships are a key aspect of the course. Food Production, Food & Beverage Service, Front Office Operation, House Keeping, Accommodation Operations and Management Principles are part of the curriculum.
What does Hotel management involve?
o Hotel Managers oversee the entire operation of a lodging facility.
o Managers hire and evaluate staff
o Handle customer complaints and inquiries.
o Ensure that the hotel operates within budgetary guidelines
o Implement marketing campaigns and other projects to attract guests .
o Excellent Communication skills
o Pleasing personality
o Reasoning Abilities
o Organization skills
o Leadership Qualities
- Bachelor of Hotel Management & Catering Technology (4 years)
- B.Sc. (Hospitality and Hotel Administration) - 3 years
- M.Sc ((Hospitality and Hotel Administration) - 2 years
- Certificate courses (6 months - 1 ½ years)
- Food and Beverage service
- Restaurant Planning & operations
- Corporate International Hospitality
- Bakery & Confectionary
- Diploma courses in Hotel Management, Catering Technology, Accommodation operations etc. (1.5-2 years)
For admissions to Hotel Management Course, students should have completed their 10+2. For IHMs, applicants should write the NCHM JEE conducted in April by National Council for Hotel Management (NCHM).
Test consists of English, Reasoning, General Science & General Knowledge It is followed by a group discussion & interview.
Private institutes also conduct similar tests of their own. For e.g. Army Institute of Hotel Management, Bengaluru conducts Written Admission Test (WAT) for their admissions.
- Hotel & Restaurant management
- Airline Catering and cabin Services
- Cruise Ship Hotel Management
- Hospital Administration and Catering
- Tourism Associations
- Institutional Management (supervising canteens in college, schools, in factories, guest houses etc.)
- Catering departments of railways, banks, armed forces, shipping companies etc.
- Self employment
Institutions for Learning
- Institute of Hotel Management (Bengaluru, Mumbai, Goa, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, New Delhi, Bhopal, Lucknow, Shimla, Meerut, Jodhpur, Aurangabad, Thiruvananthapuram etc.)
- Welcomgroup Graduate school of Hotel Administration, Manipal
- Army Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Bengaluru
- Christ University, Bengaluru
- T. John College of Hotel Management, Bengaluru
- Acharya Institute of Management & Sciences, Bengaluru
- M.S. Ramaiah College of Hotel Management, Bengaluru
- Presidency College of Hotel Management, Bengaluru
- ASK Institute of Hospitality Management and Culinary Arts, Bengaluru
- Oberoi Centre for Learning & Development, New Delhi
- National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology, New Delhi
- Banarsidas Chandiwala Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, New Delhi
- AISSMS College of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Pune
- Dr. D.Y. Patil Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Pune
- SRM Institute of Hotel Management, Chennai
- Merit Swiss Asian School of Hotel Management , Ooty, Tamil Nadu
- Oriental School of Hotel Management, Wayanad, Kerala
- Culinary Academy of India, Hyderabad
- Shri Shakti College of Hotel Management, Hyderabad
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi
B.Sc in Hospitality and Hotel Administration – approximately 3 Lakhs in Institute of Hotel Management (IHM)
M.Sc in Hospitality and Hotel Administration – 1.6 Lakhs in Institute of Hotel Management (IHM)
BHM in Christ University – 4.4 Lakhs for Karnataka students