Food technology is a branch of food science which deals with the actual production processes to make foods.
The Food technologist is trained to apply the scientific knowledge of Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Engineering to the processing of food stuffs, quality control, storage, research etc. Central Food Technological Research Institute (CFTRI) was set up in Mysore to pursue research in food science and Technology. It is one of the premier institutions in India dedicated to research in this area.
Food technology plays a pivotal role in improving the nutritional quality of food and making it safe for consumption. Different applications like pasteurization, drying, roasting, fermentation, freezing,sterilization,irradiation, canning etc reduce losses due to spoilage or contamination.
Packaging also plays an important role in preserving the technologies used for rendering food safe. It is important in preventing contamination of food after processing and during storage. In addition to preventing contamination by pathogenic organisms or chemicals, appropriate packaging protects foods against moisture.
Study options in Food Technology
- B.Tech in Food Technology
- M.Sc Food Science & Nutrition
- Degree in Dietetics & Nutrition
- Degree in Home Science
- Short term courses
- Doctoral Studies
Admission for under graduate courses in Food Technology, Food Science and Home Science is open for candidates with PCM or PCB at 10+2 level.
- Dairy Industry
- Research Institutions
- Packaging Industries
- Hospitality Sectors like Hotels
Major job providers are Food Corporation of India, Cadbury, Amul, Kellogs, Nestle, Britannia etc.
- CFTRI, Mysore
- Mount Carmel College, Bengaluru
- Smt. V.H.D Central Institute of Home Science, Bengaluru
- College of Agriculture, Hassan
- University of Mysore
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- University of Mumbai
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- Loyola College, Chennai
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Harcourt Butler Technological Institute, Kanpur
- Amity Institute of Food Technology, Noida