India has always been a centre for the textile and garment trade. It is also growing into a centre of innovation in garment and accessory design. Fashion design is the art of the application of design and aesthetics to clothing and accessories. Fashion design is influenced by cultural and social latitudes, and has varied over time and place. Study areas in the fashion industry encompasses garment design, quality control, planning, fabric design, printing, fashion accessory design, visual merchandising, textile science, colour mixing, marketing and so on. A fashion designer works in close association with a professional pattern maker who makes the finished, working version of the pattern. Sometimes they design clothes for a specific client as in the case of as in the case of haute couture but mostly they design for the mass market.
- Creativity and Originality - must be able to visualise designs
- Enjoy working with fabrics
- Ability to sketch
- Sense of trends and fashion
- Excellent Communication Skills to understand the client's requirements
- Eye for detail
National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) conducts a General Aptitude Test(GAT) for admission to Bachelor of Technology (B.F.Tech.), Master of Fashion Management (M.F.M) and Master of Fashion Technology (M.F.Tech.) courses. The candidate is tested on the following topics - 1) Quantitative Ability 2) Communication Ability and English Comprehension 3) Analytical and Logical Ability 4) General Knowledge and Current Affairs 5) Case Study.
Areas of Opportunity
- Apprenticeship under a well-known designer.
- Employment in an export house , garment manufacturing unit or jewellery house .
- Freelancing for fashion houses and boutiques.
- Work as a Personal Stylist, Fashion co-ordinator or graphic designer
- Self-employment, as in owning a boutique or manufacturing unit.
- Diploma & Certificate Courses in Fashion Design
- Graduate and Post graduate Diploma Program in Design(GDPD & PGDPD)
- B.Sc in Fashion and Apparel Design
- M.Sc in Textile Technology
- B.A Fashion Design
- Bachelor of Fashion Technology (B.F.Tech)
- Master of Fashion Technology (M.F.Tech)
- Master of Fashion Management (M.F.M)
- Bachelor and Master programs in Design
- BA Hons. Courses in Textile Design for Fashion and Interiors, Fashion Marketing and Retailing Management
- Professional diploma courses in Fashion & Lifestyle e-commerce
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)* (New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Bhopal, Gandhinagar, Jodhpur, Bhubaneswar, Patna, Kannur, Kangra, Raebaerelli, Shillong and Srinagar)
- Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology, Bengaluru
- Indian Institute of Fashion Technology (Bengaluru, Bijapur, Hassan, Belgaum)
- Queens School of Design, Mysore
- NIFT-TEA College of Knitwear Fashion, Tirupur
- Pearl Academy of Fashion, New Delhi
- Amity School of Fashion Technology, Noida
- J.D Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi.
- B.D Somani Institute of Art and Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- School of Fashion Technology, Pune
- Wigan and Leigh College (WLCI)*
- Northern India Institute of Fashion Technology (NIIFT), Mohali, Chandigarh
- National Institute of Fashion Design (NIFD), Chandigarh
- Virtual Voyage Institute of Design, Media and Management, Indore
- * Multiple locations